Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Lemon Balm



Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) is a nice plant, in theory.  It is attractive and has a lot of culinary, practical and folk-remedy uses. Problem is, it reproduces a lot. I once read an article about it titled "There Goes the Neighborhood," about a gardener who brought one home and a few years later it had spread past all her immediate neighbors. The bottom picture shows a thicket of it all along the fence. The leaves have a pleasant odor.  If you need it just try to be very very diligent about it. Grow it in a pot where you can control it, and it gets out, aggressively pursue it.

1 comment:

  1. I love lemon balm tea. It was my favorite growing up in Brazil and I'd love to find some to grow in a pot in my apartment. Anyone knows where can I find it? Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete